This post is part of the ongoing saga of the mighty PFIC….

Let’s say you have 6 foreign mutual funds in an investment account. Six PFICs, in other words. How do you report them on your income tax return?

Answer: one PFIC per Form 8621. No there is no short cut. You can’t lump the results of all six PFICs into one number and report the results on a single Form 8621. Yes it would be easier. No, you can’t do it.

One Form 8621 per PFIC.

(Our consistent recommendation is to sell all PFICs. Buy stocks and bonds. Hold cash. Don’t buy foreign mutual funds or ETFs.)