December 2, 2008 - Phil Hodgen

IRS tells you about Form 3520. Hint, hint.

The IRS published the latest in its missives assailing the infernal international tax gap, this one about reporting gifts received from foreign sources.

Translation: file that Form 3520 (PDF).

Minimums? Receiving $100,000 or more from an individual, or $13,528 or more via an entity (like a corporation or partnership).

Instructions to Form 3520 (PDF).

There are two messages here. The immediate message is to remind you of what has to be done for calendar year 2008.

The meta-message is to treat this as a sign. It foreshadows an inevitable enforcement campaign by the U.S. tax authorities. So take care of things now while you can.

Nonresidents with US Activities US Real Estate Investments