December 19, 2003 - Phil Hodgen

Getting an ITIN outside the U.S.

It’s easy to say to a nonresident, “Go get an ITIN.”

But that’s useless advice without specific help on exactly what to do. Here is the IRS web page on how to get an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number if you’re outside the United States. The instructions to Form W-7 can also help in the “What do I do next?” department.

Americans Living Abroad Expatriation Tax and Trusts