August 29, 2011 - Phil Hodgen

A suggestion for Canadians in the USA

One of my correspondents sent me a suggestion.  I pass it along to all of the Canadians living in the USA, or dual citizens, or U.S. citizens living in Canada:  rattle some cages in Congress:

Have any of your gun-shot-wounded jaywalking Canadians tried calling their Congressperson’s constituent services? I married a Canadian about a month ago. We had some problems with USCIS in obtaining a green card for her, and Barney Frank’s office was incredibly helpful. They got more answers from USCIS than we ever did on our own.

Just a thought. It might accelerate the impending popular uprising.

Also, as an Eagle scout, I wish your son the best of luck in his scouting adventures!

First things first — congratulations on the wedding.

Second, Barney Frank helpful?  Srsly?  🙂  Wow.

Third.  The only way that you will protect your RRSPs from getting a 25% haircut is by pulling a trump card on the IRS.  Call your Congressman.  Call your MP.  Contact Barrie McKenna at the Globe and Mail.  Or contact Don Cayo at the Vancouver Sun.  Or contact Don Davies, MP–he seems to have taken an interest in this problem.

And thanks for the kind words about Scouting.  We spent the weekend in the Sierra Nevada.  No trout were caught.  We saw a bear.  The boys had a great time.  My son’s troop is a boy-led troop.  They did their meal planning all by themselves.  Thank goodness for one of the older Scouts who suggested that they might want to add some fruit and veggies to the menu.

Still.  Sunday morning’s breakfast = Pop Tarts and bacon.

That is heaven for a 12-year old boy.  🙂

Voluntary Disclosure