October 12, 2010 - Phil Hodgen

2009 tax return filing extension for Americans abroad until December 15

If you are an American living abroad and you’re facing a filing deadline of this Friday (October 15, 2010) for your 2009 income tax returns, it may be possible for you to get a further extension until December 15, 2010.

Everyone can get an extension of time automatically — six months — until October 15, 2010. File Form 4868 and it’s a done deal.

But there’s an additional extension request you can make — to buy two more months, until December 15, 2010. Look at the IRS website to see if you qualify.

Because it’s all public domain anyway, I’ve helpfully 🙂 copied/pasted the entire contents of the page linked to above:

All taxpayers are generally entitled to an automatic 6-month extension of time to file their returns by filing Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, also available en español, with the Internal Revenue Service.

In addition to this 6-month extension, taxpayers who are out of the country (as defined in the Form 4868 instructions) can request a discretionary 2-month additional extension of time to file their returns (to December 15 for calendar year taxpayers).

To request this extension, you must send the Internal Revenue Service a letter explaining the reasons why you need the additional 2 months. Send the letter by the extended due date (October 15 for calendar year taxpayers) to the following address:

Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215

You will not receive any notification from the Internal Revenue Service unless your request is denied for being untimely.

The discretionary 2-month additional extension is not available to taxpayers who have an approved extension of time to file on Form 2350 (for U.S. citizens and resident aliens abroad who expect to qualify for special tax treatment).

Americans Living Abroad